Monday, August 07, 2006

ACRLog thread on simplicity vs. complexity

StevenB has been posting occasionally about simplicity vs. complexity on the ACRLlog.

I'm finding the thread of posts useful because I lean on the side of "Googlelization" and making things as simple for our users as possible. I think we play a important role in helping our students learn about information and navigating the complexity inherent the large amounts of information and research available but I have seen librarians get mired in the complexity to the point that they are ineffective in this role. So my reaction has been to move in the other direction. My own experiences with library instruction and reference in a high traffic environment have also pushed me in this direction. I tend to keep things simple as I can and then delve further if the student or patrons shows an interest in learning more.

These posts remind me of the importance of helping our students understand that the information universe is complex. My disagreement is with the use of the word versus. I think libraries and librarians can both create simplicity to reduce user frustration yet still fulfill their educational role in helping users understand the complexity.

This isn't well articulated but I wanted to post but I see this dichotomy come up in discussions with my colleagues. I sense it in discussions when we talk about customer service, training users, etc which seems to cause tension with people's sense of our educational mission.

No comments: