I had a chance to go to the Georgia Tech Library and check out their Information Commons. It's not as big or spacious as our IC. They have more scanning stations, a fairly elaborate presentation practice facility, and multimedia laboratory. The multimedia laboratory was interesting because it was decorated with a Mario Brothers video game theme (mushrooms, etc.). Fitting I guess for a university with a science/engineering focus and a high ratio of male to female students but, if I were a female student here, I think I would find it off-putting. I like videogames but I don't necessarily want my surroundings to reflect one.
They have two commons areas on the main floor not too far apart. The larger of the two commons has 80 workstations and a small help desk right in the middle of the floor staffed by the student. The information services desk staffed by a library staff member and a student is right alongside the IC as you enter. This is where the scanning stations, presentation practice facility, and multimedia lab is located.
On the otherside of the smallish main lobby is the circulation/reserve desk and another small commons area with Herman Miller furniture like ours. It is designed for collaborative work (two students per desk sharing a large screen monitor) and quick printing stations.
I like the layout/feel of our Commons better but they have more types of equipment. I wish I had a camera with me.
The campus is a short walk or trolley ride from the hotel and conference center. The weather is really nice, low 60's, and alot of the students are outside hanging out or playing ball. I even saw some daffodils. It made me nostalgic for springtime in North Carolina. It's hard to beat the beauty of a southern spring. Abigail has been drinking sweet tea. We went to a really good noodle place for lunch and split green tea ice cream for dessert. Yum!
No comments:
Post a Comment